Tuesday, October 14, 2008

So I Dug Out My Old Diaries

Ok, I got out the diaries tonight and since a couple of you think they might be interesting to look at, I'm going to type some in. I don't have a LOT but I'll share what I found. Not sure how many blogs this will be, but I'll go ahead and share what I can for now, then come back and add more later... (Stuff written in the diary is in italics. Anything else is just my...editorial comments, lol.)

First of all, inside cover of the first diary I found is written:
Owned by Hillary Purcell
Recieved Dec. 25 Christmas
Given by: Santa Claus

This starts when I was eight and a half...

Thurs., Dec. 25, 1980
Dear Diary,
This morning my dad got me up. I went in to open my gifts. I saw some right off the bat. I got 3 presents from Santa Claus. I got six from Mom and Dad. I got one from my great Aunt Dorothy. We are going to Grandma's and Gramp's for Christmas, today. Christmas is fun.
(signing off)

Friday, Dec. 26, 1980
Dear Diary,
Today I went shopping. I got an exchange gift. Today we are going home from Gram's and Gramp's. I got a new barbie doll. My sisters are learning to play backgammon. I like my new desk set.
(signing off)

Saturday, Dec. 27, 1980
Dear Diary,
Today I learned how to play backgammon! I even learned to play Uno. We picked up our goats today. We stayed at the folks house a while, then we came home & played some games we got at Christmas.
(signing off)

Sun., Dec. 28, 1980
We went to church in the morning and evening.
We also played some games.
(signing off)

Mon., Dec. 29, 1980
Some of our friends came down for the day. We really had fun. We played hide-n-seek. The men went to town to chop wood.
(signing off)

Tues., Dec. 30, 1980
Today I got sick. I had to go to the doctor (Piedra). Then I got a shot on my back side. And the family thought I had scarlet fever. But I didn't. I was lucky. Now my shot is sore. It should be sorer tomorrow.
(signing off)

Anybody falling asleep yet? No? Ok, here's some more...

Wed., Dec. 31, 1980
Today I mostly sat around because my shot made my leg hurt so much. Now I can't get around so well.
(signing off)

Don't I sound pathetic? I remember it, though. I had an adult dose of penicillin in the tush. I literally limped. So mom put a heating pad under me and I sat there most of the day. It happened every time I got those shots...which was yearly. I won't tell you the doctor's solution to that. It hurts too much to retell, lol.

Thurs., Jan. 1, 1981
Today I'm getting around a lot better. I baked Choc. Crinkle cookies today, so I'm tired.
(signing off)

Fri., Jan. 2, 1981
Today we went to town. We got a milk pail, and a hay hook. I was going to get a ring but they didn't have my size. I got my finger stuck in one but we got it out.
(signing off)

Tues., Jan.20, 1981
Today was the anauguration. The teacher let us watch it. I wasn't thrilled, I'm a Democrat. Ronald Poe was because he's a Republican and his first name is Ronald, also. (reference to Ronald Reagan and btw, I'm not still a democrat.) Well it was exciting, even if I'm not a republican.
(signing off)

Fri., March 13, 1981
Today was Angie's birthday. She's 14. She got an NIV, Holy Bible. We had chocolate cake. Choc. icing, with frogs.
(signing off)
Angie is my sister.

Sat., March 17, 1981 Ok, that Sat. should have been Tues.
St. Patrick's day is today. I didn't get pinched, but I wore a paper shamrock all day. Evreyone wore green, so I didn't pinch anyone
(signing off)

Wed., March 18, 1981
Today's Cliff's Birthday, he got a wallet.
(signing off)
Cliff is my brother.

To be continued...

2 comments:

Dee said...

Ouch on the shot... penicillin does hurt.

Had to laugh at you getting your finger stuck in the ring.

Hillary said...

You were a brave soul...or just a really kind one...to wade through that.

Ohhhhhhhhh the things I've gotten my fingers stuck in....